CDC National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN)
SPICE Training for National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) Enrollment
National Healthcare Safety Network is a surveillance system managed by the Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion (DHQP) at CDC.
On July 30, 2010, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) released a final rule stating that hospitals accepting Medicare patients are to report their central line associated bloodstream infections (CLABSIs) to CMS through NHSN beginning with January 1, 2011 discharges. The rule requires hospitals to enroll in NHSN by January 2011 or face Medicare payment reduction.
SPICE offered training to NC hospitals as they began to prepare for mandatory reporting. The first of these training sessions was a webinar, entitled “GETTING STARTED IN NHSN”, originally presented on Monday, August 30, 2010, 9-11:30 AM (see instructions below on how to listen to the recording of the session). The session is in 3 parts and is conducted by former SPICE Associate Director, Karen Hoffmann, RN, MS, CIC :
- Getting Started in NHSN-The Enrollment Process
- NHSN Enrollment Administrative Set-up
- BONUS Presentation-NHSN Device-Associated Module: CLABSI
Slides for the session can be downloaded here: NHSN SPICE Webinar Slides
Link to the recording of the August 30, 2010 SPICE NHSN webinar: https://sas.elluminate.com/mrlst?suid=M.26DAFB50F4CA337ECA72089D2BBD30&sid=2009099
- Enter name and email – click continue
- Opening play.jnlp, open or run
- With internet explorer, you may be prompted for permission to download a file (The security warning may pop up across the top of the window, just below the toolbar and tabs. Click on the horizontal message, then click to download the file.)
- “Opening play jnlp.” window will open – click OK
- JAVA window will appear
- There will be a security warning about Elluminate Live! , click run .
- Note : When joining an Elluminate Live! session for the first time you may see a security dialog box asking you to confirm that the application’s digital signature is correct. Click ” Run ” to continue.
- Elluminate Live! , setup will begin (multiple screens will flash by) and the meeting room will open
- Recording begins automatically. There are several ways to advance forward or go back through the recording:
- Click, grab and drag the playback slider at the bottom of the screen.
- Or, you can use the buttons on the bottom left to navigate to different index points in the session. The menu of index entries can be viewed by clicking on the drop down arrow next to the button, Getting Started in NHSN, which is between the recording control buttons on the left and the slider.
NOTE: Enrollment in NHSN is open to all types of healthcare facilities, including acute care hospitals, long term acute care hospitals, psychiatric hospitals, rehabilitation hospitals, outpatient dialysis centers, ambulatory surgery centers, and long term care facilities. There is NO fee for participation in the NHSN.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.