To increase the number of locations and frequency of classroom presentations of the .0206 SPICE courses, SPICE approves healthcare personnel to offer the .0206 courses for outpatient, dental, and home health / hospice settings.
Approved provider requirements:
All providers must be approved by SPICE and use the North Carolina .0206 Infection Control Curriculum for their healthcare setting in its entirety and without revisions. Complete requirements are listed below.
- Providers of the outpatient curriculum must be CIC-certified AND have completed the .0206 outpatient course (must be the 2019 revision if this is the initial application), or SPICE courses Part I and II.
- Providers of the dental curriculum must be a dental clinician and have completed the .0206 dental course (must be the 2019 revision if this is the initial application.)
- Providers of the home health/hospice curriculum must be a home health or hospice clinician and have completed the .0206 home health/hospice course (must be the 2019 revision if this is the initial application.)
To be an approved provider:
1. Complete the .0206 Course Provider Application
2. Upload required documentation:
3. Access to the curriculum webpage will be granted upon approval of the provider application by SPICE.
Logistics for providing a .0206 course
1. Registered providers receive a SPICE course ID # along with access to the curriculum website with instructions and course materials.
2. The curriculum (slide sets A-G) must be taught in its entirety and without revisions or alterations. The order of presentations can be altered but all power point slides must be presented (including the first acknowledgement slide).
3. Participants in the course are to receive handouts of the complete slide sets and any additional handouts, as described in the curriculum. Providers may choose to provide participants with an electronic link to the handouts.
4. The SPICE Course ID # is assigned to a particular organization/facility/vendor. The course ID # remains with that organization/facility/vendor. If the provider(s) changes, SPICE should be notified of the change and given the contact information of the new provider. SPICE needs to have current contact information on file so that updates to the curriculum can be sent when laws/guidelines change.
5. The Course ID # should be noted on the certificate given to participants. A sample certificate is provided in the on-line curriculum kit.
6. SPICE must be notified of the dates and locations of trainings using the SPICE .0206 Curriculum, as well as the number of learners completing the course. Please provide this information electronically at: https://spice.unc.edu/0206-course-notification/
7. Providers must keep a record of all participants attending the .0206 training.
8. Approved provider status can be rescinded if the curriculum is not used in its entirety or the most current version of the curriculum is not used. Notification of updates will be sent via email.
9. Outpatient course providers may elect to provide CE for their course through SPICE. Directions are provided on the curriculum website.
NOTE: This infection control curriculum is not a substitute for the training required by the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen Final Rule. Some elements of the Bloodborne Pathogen Final Rule are beyond the scope of the requirements of NCAC .0206.
The .0206 provider curriculum kit includes the following:
- Provider Requirements
- Sample Agenda
- Slide Sets
- Additional required handouts
- Sample certificate for participants completing the course